Sunday, October 17, 2010

Status Quo... no not the band - despite my age.


Well there is good news. I haven't slipped further down my 'wellness scale'. The bad news is that I haven't swung upwards either.

But at least I am grateful for a respite in mood swings. Being a Sunday I find it so hard to motivate myslef to actually do any work. My procrastination gene kicks in and I look for housework to do... yep you read that correctly... housework. That just shows how desperate I am to avoid anything that engages my mind. And what housework was so desperately pressing (pardon the pun).... folding the two adult blokes laundry and getting 'shitty' about doing it.

It's not that I am expected to fold clean laundry, or hang wet washing from the machine to the line, or remove cleaned dishes from dishwashers... it's just that it annoys me that things are left half finished... even when they are not MY THINGS!

I can draw the line at cleaning the blokes bathrooms and toilets. That is my demarkation line but the clothes and dishes do impact on me. I can't use the washing machine until it is de-linted and empty and the dishwasher is needed daily also. I guess it is just that I can be messy in my own spaces but try to keep the common areas at least tidy, if not spick and span.

Oh these little domestic niggles that can be the focus of so much angst, when really there are deeper issues simmering under the surface. It is so therapeutic to feel a martyr and have a good sulk. Then I feel rewards are due, so I can waste a day in front of the TV screen... yep a complete day and without guilt. Me the TV addict for one day... how about that? Whereas once my addiction was The West Wing, even I can't replay all those DVDs ... it would take days and I do enjoy company for this TV show. So my default program of choice is Boston Legal. Five eps in a row thank's to pay TV. Imagine the damage I could do to my health and wellbeing if I had Tivo or a DVD recorder?

My one justification for my sloth, apart from martyrdom and reward, is that I am also reading the Sunday broadsheets and a novel during the ad breaks. Why, oh why did Pay TV have to start having advertising. And the next greatest unfathomable... why are there so few movies I actually want to watch even when I am prepared to pay for them. Does it say more about me or more about C21st film-making?

To mobilise myself just a smidgeon, when there appeared to be life gathering in the lounge area, I turned on my laptop... at least for some housekeeping there also. Emails to file, spam to trash, chain jokes to smile at, Facebook to check on... and get depressed that there are no new messages or comments, then a complete waste of time trying to drive a new Web Creator program that is supposed to be simple.

Simple I can't even instal the bloody thing! Back to Dreamweaver and frustrations with tables layers and design elements. I know I can do this stuff but there are days when everything I think will work or look good just doesn't or isn't!

The time is ticking, as I have only two weeks to get a simple site online for a work colleague and another with working links and source code for another colleague. I haven't done these things for so long that the program updates have left me behind a tad and I am rusty so everything takes three times as long and I end up despairing that I will have to do hours of tutorials just to get up to speed. ..

But just when I think I am going to sit down and have a solid, self-pitying cry, up blinks the You've Got Mail icon and a fairy Godfather emerges from cyberspace with offers of assistance.

Perhaps this is how I staved off the fall to minus four... thanks P... I sure owe you one!

No comments:

Post a Comment