Friday, April 9, 2010

"Bring Out Ya Dead!"

"I'm not dead yet.... I'm gettin betta".
Ah Python. A great way to begin the day. I need a laugh today.

I am again thinking outside of my own head space which is good. I am very sorry for a friend who has lost a close friend from her golden days, Malcolm McLaren. Cancer is such an insidious disease and takes people far too early (or makes them suffer far too long). Having just encountered my own 'would be glory days' last Wednesday I can only empathise with you dearest Clare. How those days in London would have wreaked havoc on many of your soulmates lives.

Yesterday on my Writingnetwork.edu.au response to the student editor of the month's first post, I spent time reflecting on the whole cliched madness creativity nexus as it applies to my own mental health. To then later in the day hear of the death of Malcolm from a physical illness, it seems that any of us who aspire to great heights (whether achieved or not) are somehow blighted to be victims of Fate in some way.

In Australia Fate comes in the hands of the Mr & Mrs Averages that just want areveryone to be perfect, especially if they are annointed with the mantle of 'superstar' or 'hero/ine'. It is the tall poppy syndrome that makes it even harder to live in Australia as a creative soul. Don't dare stick your head up above the crowd, it will be lopped off. Don't dare to be different or you will be viewed with suspicion as deviant. Don't dare to challenge the status quo or you will be deemed 'too radical' or even 'mad'. On the local ABC radio Friday wrap, Liberty Sanger summed it up well, in the week when Malcolm Turnbull announced his retirement from the Liberal Party, and Joe Hockey flagged a possible re-organising of his priorities putting family first. She said: "There appears to be no place in Liberal party politics for people of principle.. no room for the small 'l' liberals anymore."

How sad that I could say that this appears to be the case in both major political parties. The same Mr & Mrs Averages who chop down our tall poppies are the same people who determine our political leaders, and we wonder why we no longer get colourful leaders, flawed but visionary policies and attempts to make Australia a better Country.

Being a Libran, I know that things swing in both directions before finding equilibrium... please when is society going o tilt towards social justice, equality of opportunity and empathy again? Did I miss it recently, and this is 'equilibrium'. God I hope not. Race card being played on poor old asylum seeker issues again on front pages of both broadsheets and tabloids... seems nothing changes.

Is it any wonder I prefer the sanctuary of a hospital ward and my own wellness focus. At least I feel less powerless on these issues. I have choices. My choice now is to re-enter the 'grey zone completely' and not let this crap through, or to roll with it and allow my inner demon free, to react with anger, vengeance and calls for revolution, thus repositioning myself as 'mad, bad' and as my previous boss added, 'rad'. At least anger at injustice gets me to a keyboard... maybe how I can complete this bloody PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment