Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Today is the start of the rest of my lfe (again)

Yep a new day with a late start. I decided a lesiurely morning reading the papers in bed was the perfect way to begin and become motivated to actually rise for the day. It was a good call. After yesterday I remain emotionally drained. And for once my first section of the Wednesday paper to open WASN'T the Higher Education Supplement. It is as if I am still feeling alienated and detached from this career or pursuit. I feel totally justified in feeling bereft of a life goal after having discussed with a fellow PhD journeyer that yet another PhDer was bragging about her ability to complete the PhD in under a year. Yet another one accepted into the PhD course at my institution with a completed novel under her belt before begining the course. Less than a month ago it was a male PhDer claiming much the same thing. He would be completing in "a few weeks" after all the exegesis is only 20 - 30,000 words! Where do these two people get off? How can the University supervisors deem this is an acceptable length of scholarship towards a three year full-time doctoral degree by research? I would not argue the veracity of this doctorate being awarded if it was a Professional Doctorate recognising expertise and excellence within the profession... but hold on, neither of these PhD candidates are a Gary Crew, Liz Byrski, Nikki Gemmel etc. Neither of them are actually mainstream published authors! How it devalues the work and academic reading their fellow PhDers have done over the years. Where is the demonstrable synthesis of grappling with the practice/theory dichotomy, the justification for and search to locate epistemological founding for the exgesis, grappling with research methods, looking at literary and genre theories or even demonstration of currently reading widely within field WHILST writing and the impact this has on the Artefact? The bloody thing is completed before the academic quest for knowledge has even begun. And whilst I would be the last to state that there is no research behind a creative output, I would have assumed that a Creative Writing doctorate requires a process of indepth analysis of both practice and methodology. With this in mind how can I feel vindicated to complete my own PhD at an Institution that seems to be tacitly allow this type of 'get the HE students through irrespective of input' to degree program as measure of academic 'output'. Am I still that naive?

Perhaps this explains my detachment from my course and choice of career endeavour. Whilst practitioners within the Creative Industries treat the practice with such disrespect how can we expect to be taken seriously be other professions within and external to the University?

After such negative thoughts and angst (which I pray one day) will become part of the fabric for my own Exegeis)thank goodness I began the daily reading with the body of the Australian newspaper, a very seldom read for me of a Wednesday! Yet today, I was drawn in by the front page feature article on the debate surrounding the Wynne prize. With radio in background and an illuminating discussion between ABC radio's Virginia Triolli (who has actually seen the winning canvas) and an Art Gellery of NSW trustee, the discussion seemed suddenly so pertinent. Virginia's angle was that wgilst copying a master can demonstrate technique it is only when referencing the old work in a postmodern econstructed manner does it become an original composition in totality. It is this re-interpretation of what has come before that makes art a 'great piece of art', it brings something new for the viewer. Quite an interesting juxtaposition of concepts given my earlier raging paragraphs huh?

Then on to more Arts news; and featured right there was an academic I have the highest regard for, Nigel Krauth. Nigel was speaking of one of his doctoral students, Glenda Guest who at age 60 has won the 2010 Commonwealth Writers Prize for Best First Book, Siddon Rock. Congratulations to both Glenda (and "mentor" Nigel). Is the fact that Nigel and his colleagues are encourgaing older beginner novelists into and through the PhD a consolation for me, a reason to keep pushing ahead... not for prizes but to prove to myself (again)that I can complete the Course and that sometimes it is a true reflection of scholarship and craft rather than simply 'numbers and game playing' with little regard for academic process. Well done Gold Coast Campus of Griffth. I take my hat off to you all.

And a personal note to Glenda, glad to hear the second book is on the way. Will watch that all important marketing and advertising by Random House. The Australian p.3 is a hell of a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment